A blacksmith trade sign showing the arms of the worshipful company of Blacksmiths, first mentioned in 1299 and Incorporated by Charter by Queen Elizabeth 1 in 1571.It has the original paint and is a wonderful naive depiction. The blacksmiths, holding hammers, stand above the motto “by hammer and hand all Arts do stand”. Painted and gilded on board. English, circa 1810.
Width: 22.5cms (9 inches)
Height: 28cms (11 inches)